Sunday 20 February 2011

East of Juba

Yesterday I drove across the White Nile bridge 7 kms east of Juba along the Nimule road. The elevation here is slightly higher than the road north and the country is punctuated by rocky outcrops. There's no water anywhere.

Rejaf county, East of Juba

I was trying to photograph birds that I'd seen here before, especially Foxy Cisticola. They are smart little birds.

Foxy Cisticola

I'd also seen flycatchers here before and was able to determine that they are African Grey Flycatchers.

African Grey Flycatcher

I've been trying to get a decent photo of Black-headed Gonolek and today's was the best so far.

Black-headed Gonolek

However.......I have been wondering why small birds are so flighty here. The picture below maybe explains this.

lunch

Several other new species today, not all photographed, included Brown-rumped Bunting, Eastern Violet-backed Sunbird, White-browed Scrub-Robin and what I believe is a Sun Lark.

White-browed Scrub-Robin

Putative Sun Lark

No comments:

Post a Comment